Friday, March 30, 2007

Malcolms New Love

Kenny resurected my old bike last night. I bought it about 11 years ago when I worked at ShopKo. It's not had a rider in over 6 years and it has had just about as much time outside.

I pulled it from the weeds that had grown over it, entangling themselves in the spokes of the wheels. Spiders had covered large portions of the frame in webs and mud was dried and crusted on the majority of the bike, so much so that you could hardly see how badly rusted out it was.

It was in sad, sad shape.

But we put new life into it. A new chain, to replace the one that was rusted so bad it held the shape between the gears even when we took it off the bike. Two new inner tubes, to replace the ones that were tired and flat. We brushed off the dust and cobwebs and weed remains and I have a pretty ugly, but working bike.

I took Malcolm for a run last night, 20 minutes at about 10:00. He loved it. I took him on the same run this morning at 7am (that's right I was up at 7). 20 minutes is probably good enough for me for starters, but Malcolm is just getting warmed up by the time we get home. I'm going to have to stretch the runs to an hour, that is, if I ever want to wear him out.

No comments: