Dominic has a little problem with holding in his stool for as long as he possibly can. He stiffens his body, crosses his legs he almost hypnotizes his body into thinking it doesn't have to poo.
Chloê had this problem at 3 yrs old too, though after she held it in for almost 3 weeks I had to seek medical help. A lot of good that did me though. She prescribed enemas and laxitives, things I went to the store and purchased right off the shelf. So as Nic is going though this painfull stage in toddlerhood, I am doing my best to help him myself. He's not able to hold it in more than 4 days. Every 4 days he goes through a painfull, screaming torturous 2-3 hours sitting on the toilet before he finally releases a huge, larger than some adults, size poo.
I am feeding him mineral oil like nobodys business and upped the graham cracker intake.
It's not like it's hard, well it is after he holds it in for so long. He eats lots of fiber, cheerios is a staple in our house as well as whole wheat bread at lunch time. Witholding stool is a common dilema in the 2-3 year old age group. They'll have just one tough terd, and dread the next one, and the next one and it snowballs. Soon they only think pooping is painfull and they never want to poop again. I'm sitting him on the toilet for a few hours a day, trying to get him in the habbit of pooping. But he vigorously fights me, hits me, screams no at me, kicks his leg... it's almost cruel what I have to do to keep him on the toilet. But after he finally has his BM, it's all smiles and high fives.
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment