Monday, September 04, 2006

Click, Treat, Good Boy Malcolm!

Last week I called around to the local pet training centers to get a "price check" on training programs in the area. At about $100.00 every 8 weeks, for 1 hour a week training, and who know's how many different classes we'd need to take, it was too much for me right now. Even with my 20% off training coupon from the humane society. Since Malcolm is destined to be a huge dog with lots of muscle we need to get him trained now while he's still a puppy! First we'll try home schooling and see how that goes.

I went to the library on Friday and checked out a great book by Pat Miller titled, The Power of Positive Dog Training. It was a quick read with great instructions and pertinent stories and information. I was finished with most of the book at least through instructions for the 3rd week of the program. I went to pet smart and picked up a $1.50 training clicker and some "high" reward treats. For most of the time I simply use kibble. We do about 4 to 5, 15 minute workouts a day and it's going fairly smoothly. I do use a smoked sausage cut in quarters and then in small pieces for the first session. It really helps to get his attention on learning the new material I introduce then. We're all done with all the activities the book has us do the first week. I think we'll just keep practicing until next Friday. As you can see in the video, he's got: Sit, Down, and Stand.. He responds to his name (most of the time). Spin and Twirl are new activities we're working on (It's only the 3rd day) I need to figure out how to get him doing it with the command and a small hand gesture instead of the luring.

I ordered a 2 1/2 inch jingle bell from eBay for $1.99. Next week he learns to target and we can learn how to ring the bell to go out to the bathroom.

1 comment:

flarin_erin said...

it seems that my audio is off on this video... :P