So last fall the people of Pasco finally approved a bond for a new high school to be be built. It is long overdue, it was overdue when I was in high school. Luckily the High School will be minutes away walk from our house. We have a clear line of site view of the property it is going to be on. Granted this will increase noise and traffic but if we're still here in 10 years Chloê will have a short jaunt to get to class.
Immediately after they passed the bond, I told someone, I think it was my mom or Kenny's mom, that I thought they should name it Chiawana High after the Large Park on the Columbia River that is about 1 mile away from the Future High School. Yesterday I was was feeling curious and went to see what they did decide to name it. Low and behold it was Chiawana High. Someone must of read my mind.
Chiawana is a Native American word meaning "father of water" or "big river."
I was interested in what other names were up for debate.
Two board members voted for Cesar Chavez, a civil rights leader -- President Ricardo Espinoza and Vice President Saul Martinez. Three board members voted for Chiawana -- Bill Leggett, John Hergert and Pete Felsted.
There must be some tiny old evil white racist guy within me because I am very glad it wasn't named after the mexican leaders proposed. Then again,I don't think that I'm necessarily glad that it wasn't named after them, just more happy that the new name refelcts the city's heritage better.
Wednesday, September 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment