I spent all of yesterday harvesting the large crop of lawn mower mushrooms, Panaeolus foenisecii (which are not poisonous.. but do contain a small amount of hallucinogenic substance) from the yard probably a full grocery sack full but I split it up into two bags one for each half of the yard.
I hate having them and instantly searched the internet to learn about how I can arradicate them. My guess, from descriptions given is that the 'shrooms are thriving on our thatch from our mulching mower + the unusually humid and wet weather and the frequent waterings. They actually are a sign of a healthy lawn where everything is working the way it's supposed to work. They break down the biowaste and make fantastic soil for the grass to live on. BUT I HATE THEM anyway. There is no real cure for them, all I can do is rake up the thatch, mow more frequently and water less. I guess fertilizer helps too, It supposedly causes the biowaste to break down quicker and makes it easier for the grass to use it instead of the mushrooms.
I suppose I'll be picking them a few more times this season. I've turned off the sprinklers untill the wet weather subsides and I plan on raking small sections of lawn everyday untill the thatch is raked up. All in all, more work! Yippie!
BTW my armpit is still lumpy and itchy I guess harvester ants bite then sting in a circular pattern and they often leave their barbed stinger in the victim. Hooray for me.
Tuesday, May 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I know about the shroom problem in the yard. It's always wet here so they are always growing. I don't like them either. Sorry about the ant sting. Reminds me of when I was little and made my little sister stand on a red ant hill nest... um by the way, don't do that. It turned out very bad.
There is a great cure for your mushroom problem, tell a hippie (anybody from Oregon) and poof they will be gone. The only problem with that solution is that you will gain a hippie problem. I'm not sure the mulcher can handle chopping up hippies .
heya if anyone wants to collect them feel free... I'll even hand out grocery sacs for everyone
Post a Comment