Sunday, July 13, 2008

Squeak!

So, as far as I can remember I did a little programming:

10 PRINT "Hello, World!"
20 END

in a computer lab at Jefferson Elementary School in the 1st grade.

But perhaps my first, real "exciting" experience with programming was with LOGO in the 4th grade. My classroom even had a turtle robot that we could program with the computer and move stuff about the classroom. (It's pretty sad that in 1988 there was 1 computer per classroom and in 2008 there are still very few classrooms with more than 1 computer in them.)

Anyway Kenny downloaded some educational software called Squeak. It's basically logo for this decade. With the very visual tools it was easy for her to see all the commands that she could apply to her objects and how they worked after she executed her program. It was fun for her to just play around with and I hope that it's something that all the kids use.

No comments: