Thursday, February 28, 2008

Spring?

Yup, Spring. It's coming. It's coming soon!

I called some fencing companies yesterday to schedule bids on getting a fence installed. We were planning on doing it ourselves, but we figured we'd get a few bids. Who knows it may be less than we imagine (not likely). But time and energy is something that is very precious to us. Not feeling so overwhelmed with having to complete a fence would be nice.

Tumbleweed clear out began yesterday afternoon. It is amazing how many I have piled up. I wish I had a friend here to help me burn them because the sheer amount of them terrifies my garbage can.

I rolled up dead weeds and disposed of them too. Then I had the painstaking task of sweeping the tack weed up off the dirt. Now I have to be attentive and weed any new unwanted growth daily. Luckily keeping it maintained the past 2 years has helped and it's not nearly as bad as it was that first summer here.

I got to finish getting drip line everywhere so I can finally plant a garden this spring. That will come as soon as all the tumbleweeds and old weed growth are annihilated. I've been reading [read wasting time] about some gardening tricks, composting and stuff. I'm just trying to get excited about it so I get motivated to get out there and work.

The lawn is sad this spring. It needs to be thatched, big time. The edges are non existent spilling onto the sidewalk and into the garden. I've been thinking about hiring a yard service to do the thatching and edging some will even do aerating the lawn for free, but putting a fence up this year will probably reap any extra pennies out of the piggy bank. I better look into starting that labor myself. A thatch rake costs 30 bucks... looks like that may be my first yard work purchase of the year. No, wait, I just bought some year long herbicide. I'm putting that at the base of the rail road tie wall. I'm not messing with that lot, at least for a year. The more I look at it, the more I consider just putting rocks or something maintenance free down there.

So, spring yard work has begun. I have just a few months before summer comes and I become a shut in again so I better get a move on.

2 comments:

Kristina said...

Burning tumbleweeds? You are too nice. You can always do what everyone else does (including myself) and just throw them into the street on a breezy day, sending them on their merry way to find the next yard to nestle into. :)

flarin_erin said...

When you have a mountain taller than your house... people notice when you push that puppy in the street.