Monday, October 15, 2007

Woman Dies from Stick Pin Injury to Lower Intestine

Will that be my death notice in 20 years?

So, last night I was busy sewing away. I'm almost finished with the base of the Dalek costume for Chloe. I was feeling pretty good. I was holding a few stick pins in between my lips when I felt like I needed to wet my throat or swallow something so I grabbed the pins with my hands and swallowed to clear my throat. At that moment I got the dreadful feeling that I may just have swallowed a stick pin. It didn't hurt, just a weird feeling that there was a chance one had slipped into my throat hole. Kenny wasn't home and I began to freak a little. So, of course, I began to seek assistance from the all knowing all powerful internet. I guess cats and dogs eat needles all the time and the needle is expected to pass uneventfully, though the pet always sees a vet. There is a large history of people swallowing needles accidentally and not finding them until they work their way out of the body or cause physical issues months or even decades after the fact.

I don't even know if I actually swallowed a pin. I think I feel something pin like but is that from a pin or from my brain thinking there's a pin in there. I expected Kenny to come home and be all worried. He just said, "you'll never do that again" and "I don't know what to tell you". Not very comforting or reassuring. In the meantime I'm eating all the bread and fiber and water I can manage and hoping that I didn't, in fact, misplace a pin inside my body.

2 comments:

Athena said...

eek!
I know they will do x-rays when a kid swallows a coin, if you never see it come out the other end. So I bet they could see a needle on there too... tho it may be harder... If you start having any intestinal discomfort, definately go in!

Freaky.

Unknown said...

I do believe I said: "if you think you swallowed it, you should go see the doctor".

Man, talk about getting a bad wrap.