Friday, March 02, 2007

Another Post About Poop!

Yesterday morning at 4:30 I awoke to the screams of a small boy in the next room. His tummy was really hurting him. Of course that's what happens when you don't poop for a week. Well I decided when he starts screaming about his tummy at 4:30am, It was probably time to go to a doctor. Dominic was very excited to go to the doctors office. Very patient and quiet and did everything he was told... he just loved being there. But after explaining everything I was doing for Dominic's regimen the doctor looked pretty impressed and told me I know how to treat it better than he could of explained it. I'm using all the medicines right and feeding Dominic all the right things. It's all up to Dominic now.

Granted it was a little affirming to be told that I knew what I was doing. At the same time it was frustrating, because it wasn't really working.

So to make the $20.00 visit worth it I talked to the doctor about how long I could keep Nic on Ducolax. I usually stop after a week of evening treatments and either back off the therapy all together or use mineral oil on toast. The doctor told me that it was very gentle and to use as I need to get Nic over his fear of passing a stool. I also got permission to double the dose if needed.

So, after an enema yesterday to clear the huge blockage, we started all over again. This time I bought Metamucil in a cookie form. It smells wonderfull. I imagine it tastes like a cinnamon grahm cracker. Lots of apple juice and water - still! I got raisins and regular grahm crackers and also stocked the fridge with apples and other fruit cup treats and some special, regulatory yogurts. He got one Ducolax last night before bed. He poo'd a number of times yesterday, and one good one this morning. I think this one will work, he really hated the Metamucil orange drink. But he loves his "cookies" in the morning.

1 comment:

flarin_erin said...

Isn't it great that I can use enema and cookies in the same blog?