Monday, February 26, 2007

Pretty In Pink


For her birthday, in September, we got Chloe a fancy curtain rod. It came with the promise of new curtains. I had some cute butterfly matching toddler blankets that I had planned on converting to curtain panels. But when I went to put up the curtains I could only find one cute butterfly toddler blanket. (If you have our other cute butterfly toddler blanket with the pale blue border, please return it.) So, without panels to hang on the new rod, it went into the garage.

5 months later I saw some dark pink fabric in the dollar pile at WalMart. I bought the last of the bolt, which was only about a yard and a half, it was only a dollar. It wasn't enough to do two full length panels. After thinking for a bit I remembered that Chloe had a Hello Kitty window valance that had been in the linen closet for a few years. It was just perfect to strech the fabric the entire height of the window. I also had some light pink fabric I bought really cheap last summer to use as a liner. I had enough fabric now, all for under $5.00 . The valance was probably 12.00 or so, but it was a gift.

So, now I had the material figured out. Yesterday, I set forth to sew up some simple curtain panels for Chloe. I cut it out and pieced it together on the awesome work table in my game room. You know, the one with the lights hanging over it. I cut the liner 1/4" smaller on the sides. Pinned them together, right sides facing (being sure to strech the lining to the width of the main panel). And sewed it together like a pillow, leaving a small opening to make the panel right side out. Stitched close the small hole that we used to pull it right side out. Then ironed it flat. After installing the hardware we hung the pretty pink curtains. Because the liner is slightly smaller, the curtain curves in slightly on the sides so that it hides the liner.

That was my project for yesterday, not bad for an afternoons worth of work.

No comments: