Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Sensitivity to Narcotics

So with a few illnesses in my youth Coedine was prescribed for pain relief. This always resulted with nausea and vomiting after the first dose, not untypical of the drug. My mother just assumed that I was allergic to coedine and used over the counter ibruprophen and tylenol for pain management from then on. It wasn't untill I had a lump removed from my brest when I was 19 that I was prescribed hydrocodone which did indeed dull the pain. I had extream euphoric senstations, I worked at Fred Meyer at the time and flying above the aisles was not a completely unpleasant side effect. But the full body rash/hives I got later that evening was definately something to make me stop taking the drug.

Though, I have to say the most disconcerting experience I've had with Narcotics has to be when I was pregnant with Ainsley. I had a killer migrain and went to the hospital to seek a safe drug to treat it. They gave me a 12th of an adult dose of Demerol. I tell you what, that was the most dysphoric, confusing feeling I've ever had in my whole life. I had trouble breathing, I was scared and I couldn't speak. It was horrible. Demerol was BAD!

Anyway you see my delema with the drugs...

I get my 4 wisdom teeth extracted on Friday morning :) YIPPIE!
After talking with the doctor about my sensitivity he went ahead and prescribed Darvocet, It was last May that the prescription was made. I don't remember if he told me or not that it was a narcotic, but it is :P Granted it's one I've not yet tried, but reading it's fact sheet it seems pretty fricken related to coedine. I think I recall figuring that a rash and or nausea would be more comfortable than the pain I'll be subjected to by the surgery, but after my past experiences, specifically with Demerol, I'm afraid to try any narcotic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck!!!
When you get the rx filled, you or Kenny should talk to the pharmacist about your previous reactions. I know codeine and hydrocodone are *closely* related and most people are allergic to both, if one. The demerol and darvocet probably aren't that closely related, but I would definately ask.