Thursday, September 21, 2006

Dirt Cheap!

In preparation for landscaping our back yard this next spring, I wanted to call around and get estimates on how much fill dirt was going to cost us. I called a few excavation services and some landscape designers and came to the conclusion that the dirt was going to cost us over $1000.00. Blech! That was just not going to happen. I decided to call my cousin Brent Martell. He co-owns Premier Landscaping and Design. I asked him if he sold fill dirt and how much he charged for it. It just so happens he was working on an excavation project for Bank Reata on rd 100 and had fill dirt available and in my area. They're charging me 80.00 a truckload for 5 truck loads, I mean the big dirt hauler trucks. It'll be roughly 50 cubic yards of soil for $400.00.
He said, he doesn't always have dirt available and if we're too far from the supply, it can get expensive. (that must of been why other places quoted so high) So a next spring thing turned into a next Friday thing.

We're not completely ready for it. The weeds are still thriving back there, and we have left over scraps from building the timber wall. I also need to finish the brick wall to keep the dirt from spilling out into our neighbors yard.

I have a feeling that it may not be pushed around to where it's final resting spot will be until next year. But just having it will be a HUGE step in the right direction.

No comments: