A few of you who knew us in 2001, knew that that year Kenny lost A LOT of weight on the Atkins diet, some 70 lbs before he lost his job and we could only afford the macaroni and cheese/spaghetti diet.
The "just one taste" rationalization is the kiss of death on this diet.
The thing about the Atkins diet is that it's an ongoing lifestyle of eating, it's not a two week thing and then you go binge on pasta after you loose a few pounds. There are phases of the diet. The induction, to get your body into ketosis. This phase is a kind of a no carb, no sugar boot camp. The Pre Maintenance diet, gets you in the habit of eating fresh food for a longer period of time. And the Ongoing Maintenance diet a lifetime lifestyle of eating fresh meats and vegetables with occasional diviances allowed.
For two weeks the diet contains no more than 20 carbs a day. This allows for 3 cups of loosly packed salad greens and pure proteins, all meats, cheeses, eggs, butter, olive oil and mayonaise. I suppose our diet is a "modified" Atkins, we don't go quite at crazy as the Dr. recommends with things such as Butter, Mayonaise, olive oil and PORK RINDS. Kenny pretty much eats as he normally would, just without the bread and sugar.
I'm not much for substitutions, so I don't buy the diet substitutes while we do this diet.
The diet, during the first two weeks, is I must say difficult, especially if you eat out a lot with your friends. Dealing with the sugar restrictions at restauraunts are tough because sugar is found in just about everything down to fruit juice in salads and sugar in the tasty mongolian sauce. And it seems that everything is filled out with flour.
After we make it past the first 2 weeks however, fresh, meat, fish, fowl, vegetables, nuts, seeds, occasional fruits and starches are welcome on the diet almost all pre packaged food however is not. So if you want a truely homecooked meal, The Schmidt house is a good place to go.
The last time Ken went on this diet, his LDL cholesterol went down and his HDL cholesterol stayed the same. Which if you know your cholesterols, this was a good thing.
Wish us luck...
Monday, July 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I kinda know what it's like, being allergic/intollerant to gluten/wheat. Not the funnest thing in the world not to have that dinner roll at the restaurant or the bun on the hamburger. Good Luck.
I still am no fan of the Atkins diet. I do, however, encourage your efforts. :) I hope it works well for you guys!
I prefer the South Beach diet. It seems healthier to me and helped me learn how to eat properly.
I think it sucks, now that Kenny is on this diet he no longer goes to lunch with us!
Post a Comment