I have never thought that I could apply for a scholarship. Seriously, I've never had enough confidence in myself to even try. But this last week I learned of an Art scholarship available at CBC, and I'm a bit excited to try for it.
Okay, so first I had to get a transcript copy. I was really nervous about this because my grades from 10 years ago put me on academic probation with less than a 2.0. I hadn't checked my grades since I began school this last fall, I was ecstatic to learn that I had raised my GPA to a 3.32. HOORAY, It doesn't suck anymore! But, even though they don't count, there are still a few zero's on that paper. I have my fingers crossed that the judging body pays closer attention to the 4.0's from 2008 instead of the 0.0's from 1998.
I've written a "please pick me, I'm determined to do well" essay, and I've contacted the only two instructors I've had at CBC for help putting my portfolio together and for letters of recommendation. I've been looking at all my projects from the last few months trying to narrow down my best pieces. It's hard, I've never had a formal art class before 110. I'm gathering them up on computer here, and I'm going to post them on a website. I hope I get it finished tonight.
So, there has been a hint that I probably won't get this one... but, I'm supposed to still apply, there is a possibility of getting a different one awarded this spring. I think even If I don't get any scholarship, putting the portfolio together is a good thing. It also is more motivation to really put together top notch presentations for my class. Assignments are not just for grades anymore.
I'll post the portfolio URL up as soon as it's available.
Friday, January 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment