Monday, August 11, 2008

School Clothes Shopping

So, yesterday was the first time to the Mall for clothes for me since Old Navy opened.

I'm not a shopper... at least I never have enjoyed it. It's an expensive past time, and I'm usually not happy with the clothes available. (Once I was solicited a store card at a dept store. I declined it, "I won't sign up for your card until you go back to normal waist pants." She said, "All of our customers want low rise" I just informed her that I wouldn't be getting their card anytime soon.)

If I go to a department store, which is what I'm used to, I shop in the women's clothing department. I will buy clothes there, because I'm a grown up, and then be frustrated for the next year because the smallest womens sizes drape on me like garbage bags. I'm constantly being asked if I've lost weight. Why else would I wear clothes so much bigger than my size?

On the flip side of this delema If I go shopping in the teen section, I can find pants in my waist size. Hooray. But, for some reason skinny people must all be 6' tall because they always are about 5'' too long. And all the clothes are skanky teen clothes. I was telling my mom yesterday that there is no "in between" anymore. It's either uber conservative and granny style or skanky bimbo.

My super skinny, tiny sister-in-law came to visit awhile back and I noticed that she had super skinny pants, but the cuffs didn't drag on the floor. She said, "American Eagle". I've always assumed that American Eagle was where skanky teens shopped but my SIL made them look nice. They must not be all that bad. I was suprised that most of the shoppers there were adult women and not all of the clothes were skanky :) I came away with a load of new clothes, expensive, but fitting clothes.

All but one pair of pants worked. I'll have to take them back. I got home and tried everything on. These particular pants were crazy low rise (IMO). All low rise pants need a warning label on them... WARNING THESE PANTS MAY CAUSE SEVERE PLUMBERS CRACK!

I did dive into some skank and I picked up a mini skirt. Never owned one before, I figured it'd be fun. Kenny likes it :)

3 comments:

Maylyn said...

You shoulda said to that lady at the department store:

Lady: "all our customers want low-rise."

You: "Am I a customer?"

Lady: "well, yes."

You: "I don't want low rise, so you better find a better excuse. Until you do I will be informing all my other friends not to shop here, cuz they don't like low rise either. Bah-bye."

Of course this will label you a bitch, but so what!

flarin_erin said...

I did say that.. she just blinked.

Mrs Squid said...

the concept of service here is a little lost on most department store drones..
if you're not tiny this year appears to be the year of the mu-mu in 70's colors . and they wonder why i don't buy anything..
*shrug*