Thursday, May 29, 2008

Valves

We have a large yard and a large sprinkler system. When we first were trying to design our valve box... since a box large enough to house our system was so spendy, we thought we'd be smart and use concrete blocks. It seemed like a good idea, with the bottom row of blocks turned on their sides so the pipes could travel out through the holes. Not to mention the blocks were cheap. But it didn't take us long to realize that it really wasn't going to work for us. It flooded a lot (rain came right off the roof into the box), the valves grew out of the original box and it looked ugly. So I was day dreaming one day and I thought, why not use a patio box to house our valves? It looks better than the ugly blocks and it would have a lid to shield it from the rain. At about 60.00 for a patio box, it was way cheaper than a properly sized "valve" box.

So I picked one up today...


Old box, ugly and full of dirt. (a mouse too)


New box after a LOT of digging. isn't it way better?


Inside of new box... I dug it down and filled it with gravel and the brace is in there for extra support.

No comments: