Most of you know I can knit, it was a natural talent that I discovered when I decided to do booties and cap for Dominic during my pregnancy. It was my first time knitting and I whipped them out in a few hours and decidedly became a knitter. I have since then enjoyed knitting and was looking forward to knitting a few things for some gifts this winter... Already on my list is a warm cap for Kathy and an item for our gift exchange. I've never done a blanket and I decided I'd try my hand at it and make one up for Nic's birthday. I love having deadlines, it really gets me working. I decided on a SpiderMan theme blanket, I'd say SpiderMan was his favorite character but it's a toss up between SpiderMan and Mario. In my search for a SpiderMan theme knit blanket I came across a cute little crochet piece of a web blanket in SpiderMan colors. Ah man, I don't know how to crochet. Haven't tried since those potholders in 3rd grade.
After talking it over with some crochet experts they assured me that crochet was much easier than knitting and that if I could knit, I could crochet. So I got the yarn, I borrowed the needles and I set out last night to temp fate and crochet Nic's 4th birthday present.
From a knitters perspective it's a bit more tricky. There are a lot more stitches to choose from and get wrong in crochet... in knitting it's basically picking up every stitch somehow. If you missed a stitch you know it. In crochet it's pretty random where you'll be poking your hook through. Trying to interpret instructions and pictures of how to do certain stitches was a job for your most seasoned boyscout. It wasn't until I frogged my work 10 or so times that I found some tutorials on youtube... quite good ones in fact. I seem to have some of the needle work figured out.
The only uncomfortable thing I have issue with is feeding the yarn into the piece. In knitting, it fits comfortably in one hand and is wrapped around the needle quite easily. In crochet the wrap around the pinky and interwoven between fingers thing quickly got tedius, tight and frustrating. For the most part, I've given up on the "book" way to hold the yarn and I'm trying out some Erin ways to hold it. I got much quicker just as I was thinking about bed and had to put stuff away so I think I'll be able to move along more tonight.
Tuesday, October 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Yikes! I don't remember all that... I've never learned to knit, but I knew how to crochet for a long time... I haven't done it in years tho.Maybe what you were doing wasn't the basic crocheting, 'cuz I know there are lots of different options. I never did anything more than scarves/blankets, I don't think. heehee
Post a Comment