Well most of you know that I'm a pretty liberal, tree hugging, strawhouse building, homebirth kinda gal and my general opinion is that most things are fine as long as they don't injure my person in anyway. I however am absolutely disturbed by the recent superstardom of the BRATZ line of toys, clothing and misc. merchandise. Most any observant parent can see how they closely resemble the average LA hooker with their layers of makeup obvious plastic surgery and little if any clothing good enough for your basic street walker.
While most angry parents would take debate with the product manufacturer my deal is with the parents who entertain having these toys in their home. When you see the slutty BRATZ girlZ on the backpack why didn't you just walk by it! Really! please look at these products think about the implications of your daughter owning one, how will it influence her opinion on how girls should look and behave. How can you affectively tell your daughter that the belly button ring and "too" low low rise pants are a no no when you've been buying her toys and other merchandise that promotes this 'pregnant by 13' appearance and behavior.
I have the same beef with Myscene Barbie... I thought we were supposed to be promoting intelligent, intellectual, powerful women, not hoping one day our daughters would strive to be gangsta bitches or prostitutes.
Thursday, August 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hear, hear! The Bratz dolls have always bothered me, and it really shocks me how popular they've become. I would *never* buy those for my daughter... :P I don't understand why anyone would. Oh well.
I'm so glad I had a boy, seriously. I would hate to have him dress like a Bratz doll. But I totally agree with you 100%
Post a Comment