I've been pretty sure that I've had this addiction since before guildwars days. How do I know? Well I am anxious when I'm away from the glowing box. I wake up and I walk downstairs trying to avoid its lure... that lasts for a few minutes, then Kenny leaves and I automatically sit down here in this chair here and mindlessly check my email and blog though nothing has changed in the past 7 hours. I mean, really, I check it probably 12-15 times a day, and rarely ever is there more than one or two spam messages. I can hear problems around me in the house, sometime, and unless it is dramatically drawing my attention I do nothing about them. If I do get up about the problem I'm CRANKY and YELLING. I make Nic wait for a cup of water, wait for what... me to check my email and see that my fricken Allstate bill is ready to be viewed.
I feel guilty, I neglect the house. I don't pay much attention to the kids, Nic is screaming at me right now... but I have no idea what about. I get up to get away from the life sucking box and do a load of dishes... YIPPIE, then I finish, and I try to walk upstairs to clean the bathroom, eh it can wait, I'll just sit down (ah I feel so good here in this chair, all my problems melt away), and check my blog... no comments... how about email... nada... how about my bank account, how's it doing?... looks good. Then after I do that several times I surf mindlessly on the vast information highway for hours and hours. When I need a real fix, I post a stupid blog on internet/computer addiction.
Signs of a Internet Addiction.
- You have mixed feelings of well-being and guilt while at the computer. ---Definately
- You can't make yourself get off the computer, even though you know you should.---Always
- Lose control of time while on the computer. You promise to quit or cut down, but are unable to.--YES
- You neglect friends, family and/or responsibilities in order to be online.YES
- You find yourself lying to your boss and family about the amount of time spent on the computer and what you do while on it.---Sorry Kenny, though you probably know.
- You may feel anxious, depressed, or irritable when your computer time is shortened or interrupted.---GOD, YES!
- You may use the computer repeatedly as an outlet when sad, upset, or for sexual gratification.---Sometimes, but don't we all?
- You develop problems in school or on the job as a result of the time spent and the type of activities accessed on the computer.---NA---
- You may have financial problems due to on-line purchases or gambling.---No
- You are tempted to become involved in relationships with strangers, which may put you at risk for victimization or jeopardize your safety.---Definately NOT!
It's pretty sad really, I don't see it getting better anytime soon. My dog is bored, my kids are bored and I'm staving off the boredom with the soothing glow of my monitor.

3 comments:
I have one symptom to add to that, for anyone still in school; you have computer addiction if you know more about your teacher's computer than he/she does him/herself(lol)!!
hehe, ya I fall in that catagory too. Since I'm not in school anymore, it applies to my daughters teacher.
We should start a support group, hehe... I answered yes to all the same questions as you did. Is that my children screaming in the other room...? :-)
Post a Comment