Monday, December 04, 2006

mybigfamily.com

So I linked over to the family gallery site yesterday just to check it out and it wasn't there. I had let my domain name registration expire and godaddy had parked it somewhere else. I tried to log on to my godaddy account and renew it online but it wasn't available for me. I've had mybigfamily.com for a long time, I didn't want to let it go. So, I called the support line and talked with the rep about renewing my registration for mybigfamily.com . Turns out, it was old enough that I didn't have a "privacy"account, whatever that means, and also that my email address used was a very very old yahoo address, that I've not used in over 5 years, so I've missed tons of expiration notices.

So it expired on November 13th, it went in to being parked waiting for me to renew it. I could've left it there for a bit except it was on backorder, I guess someone else wanted mybigfamily.com too. Probably could make a lot money with it (I just like to waste it with my family album).

The rep kept commenting on the name, "wow" he said. "That's a really great name. I bet you could get a lot of traffic to it" He asked me what it had on it and who hosted it for me, blah, blah, blah... Then came the bill-- $80.00 to renew it! it would've been $90 if it had the privacy account thing on it. So did I fork over the $80.00? Yes, I did. Was it hard to swallow? Yes, it was. It was originally like 9.99 for a 5 year registration! It's hard to believe I just paid $80.00 to renew it. If I had gotten the emails sent to the yahoo account and renewed the name on time it would've been like $4.99 or something rediculously small! So as a reminder to all you guys with domain names registered through godaddy, DO NOT LET THEM EXPIRE!

No comments: