Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Birth Pains

What a spectacular way to start the new year. I was called early this morning (well I guess it was yesterday morning)to attend my 3rd birth (in a professional capacity) I was asked by the NMD to assist her so it was a new position to be in for me but it really covered a lot of Doula tricks as well. The birth was wonderful, short, calm, relaxed, warm and intimate. Baby is a healthy 8lbs 7oz and doing great. Momma had a few post birth issues but they were resolved and everyone is doing fine. I just love my job. I am such a birth junkie and I love seeing the parents react to the first sight of their new born baby.

That being said...

I have noticed that after births I am incredibly sore (not nearly as sore as momma, and tonight probably not even as strained as papa) but still achy. The first birth, my client had an epidural and was immobilized so I did a lot of lifting and pushing and holding of pregnant momma. That really made my arms and legs just ache for a few days. (I know, stop whining)

But, here I am at 1:00 in the morning, exhausted from an all day job, and I can't get to sleep because of the strained back muscles and sore neck muscles. I'm sure I'll feel it in the arms and legs tomorrow. Momma was standing (during pushing, awesome way to birth) Dad was standing supporting her and I noticed he wasn't looking so good so I propped myself between him and the wall so he could lean back against me. A support support if you would. That plus all the other responsibilities involved have hurt my body a bit. I hate to say it but I'm glad I don't have any births coming up any time soon (but who knows birth happens)... Full time Doulas do 1 birth a week, Kristina French and I are at 1 birth a month right now and I can't imagine anything over 3 a month.

I need a bow flex or something... I need to get in shape. Anyone up for yoga classes?

2 comments:

Athena said...

Cool beans. :) I was hoping that would be me, 'cuz I was in false labor all day (and night) on the 31st! Oh well!

Anyway, after this chica gets here and we're settled in, I'd be up for pilates! (As I understand it, it's yoga with a larger focus on strength) :) I'd have to work it out with Nathan.

Anonymous said...

Well you could drive all the way over here for our babies birth, although we'd have to pay you in kisses and hugs.
Just kidding I personally just want to stand against the bed leaning over and PUSH! lol. . . I'm just so afraid of them laying me on my back, I already have the worst back pains I've ever felt in my life. ugh.
Getting tired from helping babies? You? Never. . . Your the reason I had such a false idea that being pregnant and having babies was easy. . . lol. But I guess your just super woman, I on the other hand am a BIG WHINY BABY. waking up every hour on the hour is now a for sure thing. . . (at least until steven leaves and gives me the soft warm squishy side of the bed, then I sleep until about 28 min. ago. lol. Anyways, steal the ab lounge Jared left over at mom's. lol. get that total CORE work out hahaha. talk to you later. your sister