Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Arbor Day Fun


Friday, April 27th is National Arbor Day this year.

Earlier this year, my Camp Fire kids participated in a Candy Sale to help earn money for the council... we get a small percentage of the proceeds for our club treasury. I figured we'd spend the money on a BBQ/Picnic for Arbor Day. I contacted the City of Pasco Parks Department and asked if it was possible for my group to plant a tree in a local park. They responded very quickly. They want to supply the tree and pre dig the hole and have media covering it. I swear in my email to them, I said, "SMALL Camp Fire club." The Parks Facilities Manager even invited the Mayor, though she could not guarantee her presence.

So, what I was planning on being a small activity for the kids suddenly has gotten to be a big deal. I think that the planting the tree portion of it is pretty much planned, now I have to put together a picnic. Since the city is donating the tree, our budget for the picnic is much larger, so I should be able to put together something fun!

2 comments:

Babyfro said...

Way to go Erin, sounds like it should be fun for the kids though, a good memory for them and doing a good deed! Maybe I'll plant another tree in my front yard that day to mark the occasion.

Athena said...

Wow. haha. Well cool! You'll have to save copies of any media of the event and let me (us) see! :D